Tuesday 18 February 2014

Tri-Polish Tuesdays - February round three!

The third Tuesday of February is upon us, and so is the Tri-Polish challenge, with its monthly pick of pink, grey and brown.

Polishes used: Rimmel Grey Matter, Color Club Endless, Leighton Denny On The Rocks


I had picked out the three colours for this week's manicure a few days ahead, and I was planning to make them into some sort of a gradient. Sadly, once I started dabbing the sponge on my nails, I realised it wouldn't work - the colours just ended up looking dirty and ugly. After some deliberation, I decided on a tape manicure. I then proceeded to bump and smudge my base coats of nail polish at least twice on different nails, so the painting took much longer than I anticipated. It was just one of those days, I guess.

Striped nails in pink, brown and grey
I started by painting my nails with the delicate brown On The Rocks and the Grey Matter, and adding a coat of Seche Vite. Once everything was completely dry and solid, I placed some striping tape pieces diagonally (and my ability to position these in equal distances is sorely lacking) and then went over each nail with a contrasting polish. As usually with striping, making sure that the tape is completely flat on the nail and removing it while the polish is still wet is really important. I admit I had some issues with the first rule - as you can see in the dodgy stripes. I topcoated it all with Color Club fast drying topcoat, to avoid the smudging Seche Vite would entail.

Striped nails with pink, brown and grey
Despite the imperfections, I'm quite happy with this manicure. It looks quite grown up, and I love the combination of the brown and grey. Nonetheless, I am really looking forward to March, and the new colour set.

Polishes I used:
  • Rimmel Grey Matter - a mid-grey crème, cool leaning and soft. The Rimmel brush is brilliant for a drugstore brand, medium width and nicely rounded, and the application was pretty painless. This polish is opaque in two coats, and worked well for striping.
  • Color Club Endless - a pale, cool-toned pink crème from the Kaleidoscope collection. It's goopy and patchy, and doesn't self-level very well - it would take three coats to be opaque on it's own. I only got it because it was in a set.
  • Leighton Denny On The Rocks - a gorgeous pale brown base with a complex gold and pinkish fine shimmer. On the nail, the shimmer is barely visible, but it lends the polish some depth and light. It's like wearing praline on my fingers - I'm not a fan of browns, but this polish I can wear on its own. The application was flawless, despite the fairly thin brush. The first coat was fairly sheer, but the second one achieved full coverage. I got this polish on a TK Max sale, along with a few other bottles of LD.

Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. Stripes always look cool on nails. I love your color choice =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look gorgeous, and so shiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Color Club top coat is pretty good, if you don't mind the slower drying time!

      Delete

Thanks for all your comments! I read and appreciate them all :)